We are continuing to read How to Steal a Dog.
We will be reading chapter 11 together in class on Monday.
As we read make sure to write quick notes and circle/underline the sections that we stop and talk about. This will help you remember what we discussed so you can write 2 meaningful, under the ocean, post its. You will be required to write 2 post its this week.
Name this: Chap 11 post its.
It is due on Friday, April 23.
JUST A REMINDER:
Write enough in your post it to show "under the ocean" thinking.
1. Just the plot: Georgina's mom got fired. Now they'll go back to living in a car.
2. Toe in the water: Georgina's mom got fired and she is feeling like giving up.
3. Under the Ocean: Georgina's mom got fired and she is feeling like giving up. She says, "Maybe I should just disappear." Instead of comforting her, Georgina says, "That would be nice." Why was she so mean? Her mom is trying so hard.
WE ARE NOT MEETING IN READING GROUPS THIS WEEK.
So please ignore the groups listed below.
BANANAS - meet at 11:00
Leo, Siddharth, Ellee, Kanato, Ira, Keira, Samyuktha, Zainab A
GRAPES - meet at 11:30
Jeremy, Adam, Vishrudh, Max, Charlie, Sorpana, Sahasra, Zainab N, Pranavi S
APPLES - meet at 1:00
Nicole, Audrey, Pranavi C, Anna, Simrita, Arnav, Atharva, Louis
ORANGES - meet at 1:30
Jeevesh, Tejas, Akshath, Abby, Chloe, Jovi, Kevin, Sidd
We will be reading How to Steal a Dog for our next literature unit.
I sent home a copy of the book in a folder at our last Materials Pick Up.
This gives you a paper copy to underline, highlight, and make notes on.
HOWEVER, you may choose to use the link below that is the pdf version of the book.
IF YOU USE THE PDF, YOU STILL NEED TO BE ABLE TO MARK ON IT AND ADD POST-ITS.
It's been awhile since we wrote a response to literature.
You can always go back and look at the last Google Slide Response to Literature that we wrote for Island of the Blue Dolphins.
1. Start with your topic sentence.
2. Then, use a transition and state your first reason for your opinion.
3. Then add convincing details from the book.
4. Use a transition and state your second reason for your opinion.
5. Add convincing details from the book.
You will be writing about whether Georgina is treating her mom fairly.
You can have your own opinion. Remember, two people can have opposite opinions and can both get a good grade. It is all about whether your details from the book are convincing.
Our notes will look like jot dots.
You do NOT just copy that for your response to literature.
You need to take those ideas and turn them into actual sentences.
The example below is about Island of the Blue Dolphins but it still shows how you take jot dots and turn them into an actual response/essay.
Please compare the notes above to the actual essay below.
Do you notice that the ideas have been turned into sentences? And the sentences are not an exact copy of the jot dots above.
Also, do you notice that it is not written with titles for your main points? The big idea and the 2 reasons above have been actually changed into sentences and they are not posted like titles.
Please also notice that the transitions for reason sentence 1 and 2 have been underlined just so you notice them. Don't actually underline them.